My hostas didn’t flower this year, what can I do to insure flowers next year?

Question by Brokn: My hostas didn’t flower this year, what can I do to insure flowers next year?
The leaves look perfectly healthy and the plants filled out beautifully but no flower spikes and all the others in my neighbors yards are flowering nicely. They are planted on the south side of my house along a fence so they are mostly shaded but some dappled sunlight. A few are in more sun but they didn’t flower either.

Read answers:

Answer by cobblejoe
I assume that they have flowered in the past. Question, have you fertilized them, perhaps you gave them to much Nitrogen.
Are the leaves bigger and greener than normal?

Have an opinion on this topic? Let us know.

4 Responses to “My hostas didn’t flower this year, what can I do to insure flowers next year?”

  1. LaWeezel says:

    Hm. My hosta in semi-shade do just fine for flowers, though they usually take a few years after planting to flower well.

    If these are mature clumps, my guess is that they might need some food. Try giving them a food that’s got a higher middle number next spring, like 5-10-5 or any multiple of that (10-20-10 etc.). You can find organic fertilizers with these numbers and, in my experience, these work better because many of them also have trace elements AND they are less likely to burn.

    The numbers stand for the amounts of nitrogen-potassium-phosphorus in the fertilizer. The middle number, the potassium, is needed by the plant for flower formation.

    The nitrogen (first number) gives you lots of leaf growth. And the third is generally for roots.

  2. gazeygoo says:

    I’ve had Hostas for years and to be honest as soon as those horrible looking flowers emerge I cut them off!! My plants stay fuller longer and I don’t have to look at those ugly things! Consider yourself lucky.

  3. greenthumb says:

    Just a short note concerning the numbers on a bag of
    fertilizer. The numbers indicate the percent (%) by weight of the bag of the elements listed. In other words 10-15-5 is egual to 30% of the bag weight, the other 70% is inert filler.

  4. A-List Landscaping says:

    Keep the ground near them clear of any weeds, dead leaves, or brush. Fert them this year and next. I hope an animal or a mean neighbor didn’t have anything to do with it. As long as they look healthy give them another year to flower again. If not, they are easy to replace with fresh young ones.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *